We first had this dish eariler this year at one of our new favorite Thai restaurants. Actually, Ben ordered the dish and it was so good we all ate some and I knew I needed to figure out how to make it at home!
So here it is: Thai Drunken noodles
You will need:
1 lb of Thin sliced beef (or pork) *Ive also made this with thin slice chicken breast, it was good, but not as good as beef!
1 cup of Big flat rice noodles ( can be found in the refridgerated asian section of most stores or at an asian market)
Tapioca starch 1/2 teaspoon (for marinating the beef)
1 tablespoom chopped garlic
1 sliced Onion
1 or 2 sliced Jalapeno peppers (2 peppers will make it very spicy)
1 cup of Tomatoes cut into wedges
1 cup of fresh basil leaves
1 or 2 eggs
Fish sauce about 2 tablespoons
Sweet soy sauce 4 tablespoons
Oyster sauce 4 tablespoons
1. Marinate the meat
2. Separate the rice noddles, cutting them into squares or strips. prep the vegatables and get them ready for the pan.
Sauces you will need. All can be found in the asain food section.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to pan, set on high heat and wait for oil to simmer before adding garlic. Toss it around a few times and than add onion.
4. Then add peppers and cook onions until translucent.
5. Add meat. Toss meat around to cook it, making sure every piece is seared to sesl in the juice. It will cook more so dont worry about cooking it thoroughly right now.
6. Add the tomatoes to the pan, stir fry until they release their juice.
7. Add the noodles as soon as you see the tomatoes release juice and add the sauces.
This is a good time to stop and taste the mixture. See if you want to add any more of the sauces. I always end up adding more sweet soy sauce. This is when I add the white pepper. The noddles should be soft and not dry.
8. Push the meat mixture to the side and add a bit more oil and crack an egg in the oil. Break the yolk with a spatula and flip the noodles back on top of the egg.
Count to 15 slowly, this gives the egg time to set before you stir in into the mixture, it helps avoid the fishy smell and taste eggs cooked to quickliy can have.
9. Turn off the stove and add basil leaves to the pan.
Toss the leaves into the noodle mixture. The heat left over with cook the delicate basil leaves for you.
And there you have it. Its done! You may be tempted to eat it right out of the pan, I dont blame you. This batch turned out deliscous and spicy! I served it with alot of water and a bowl of watermelon.
This is a household favorite and is made at least once a month. To some investing in all the sauces may seem like a lot, but they will last you a long time and can be used for other dishes and dipping sauces.